Search

Ellenor Mererid

Illustration Student

Month

November 2015

Location Drawings

We were sent out to do location drawings of our surroundings, with a list of prompts to help us. I think I should have drawn more, but I was finding it difficult to draw out in the open, but of the few I like how they’ve turned out.

The sketches:

Advertisements

Writing month

I have been doing the NaNoWriMo this month and I am writing Lovell and Iven’s story. and I have been going through a cycle of emotions, going from;

  • “I’m not very good with words, why on earth did I think trying to write a story was a good idea?!?!”
  • “What’s the point? Nobody would ever read it?”
  • “I have no idea what I’m doing”
  • “I have no idea where I’m going this”
  •  “I’ve only ever written short stories in the past” (but they were usually my only saving grace in language exams ^^;)
  • and just general feelings of hopelessness but still going through with it because I don’t want to give up >.>;

And I’ve just been leaving myself notes saying “try and have this make sense” . . . So yeah that’s what I’ve been doing. . .

I drew this from a little scene in the story as a bit of relief. It makes sense in context, well I at least hope it does ^^;

LovIv skit

Sorry for it’s rough look, it was done quicker than I usually work. I don’t really like the top panel but I quite like the other panels though, especially Iven’s and that I think his hand is one of the best hands I have ever drawn or will draw for a long time.

I hope you all like it 😀

Ideas, Research, and Processes 1 – Summary

Over the period of this unit we have covered quite a few processes of creating art and how to research over the course of several workshops.

We developed how to process and come up with ideas by creating vast mind maps that spiralled to many different directions from a simple and mundane object, and then going into further detail by following a branch off the first brainstorm. Research was then carried out on the whole second brainstorm.  Our original item was a pair of sunglasses and then we had the second brainstorm on the government which lead to me researching renewable energy and pollution. The workshop went well as I was able to get a lot of ideas and source for more research from and seemingly item.

We had a two week brief to create a collage on the topic of urban improvement.  I chose to go with changing a small element of the urban environment, the street lighting, changing them from oranges and yellows to blues, based on a fact I had seen a few years earlier and the positive effects it had on the areas it had been implemented. I don’t think the end result turned out very well and that it could have turned out a lot better. I struggled to get the right images for it or to get it to work, but I did try and make it a bit 3D, or less flat by placing small chunks of cardboard to make certain parts stand out.

There were two weeks of transfer printing, the first one didn’t turn out that well, but the second turned out much better. We think that having a different type of ink of the transfers could have made it work much better or that there could have been something missing to the process. The second method, I would need to remember to keep in mind what parts would be transparent and not have any colour to transfer to the selo tape if I were to do it again in future, as that was the only problem I encountered doing this method, I liked the method of combining the transfer print and the painted back ground.

The rubber stamp and roller printing had very similar processes to them, and that it was an enjoyable process to work with and I really like the outcome of the work, especially the rubber stamping. The only thing that let the work down was my own ability to roll the print with roller, I think it would have turned out much better with someone else rolling it other than myself. I’m considering making my own rubber stamps at some point.

The overall unit went well, some things turning out better than others, and I enjoyed some more than others also. I have learnt new processes and some that I could do more work with later on at some point.

484 words

Life Drawing 3

This weeks model was called Barry. We worked mainly with charcoal and ink.

The image above was made on primed paper and then covered in charcoal, then using a rubber, I rubbed out a drawing of the model. I’ve done similar things before, but nothing like this, I like how it’s turned out and I think it’s turned out well.

Stamp Printing

We had a workshop making stamps with rubbers. We were given some rubbers to carve a shape out with a scalpel. We would make a sketch and then transfer it onto the rubber, to make it easier to carve out. I enjoyed doing these stamps, it was a relaxing process to do, I couldn’t carve the stamp all that tidily so it took me a bit longer to do it and to make it look right and good enough for me.

We were given the task to make a little book in groups and make little prints in them. The group I was in we had the natural world to work with. I really liked the theme and I’m glad we got it.

These are the two little pages I made, one with footprints of various kinds and some text to show co-inhabiting the planet and that we should look after it, I think I should  have made another human foot as it would look better and I think it could have looked better on a bigger scale. The second one is a simple silhouette of birds on a wire in front of a blue sky, it was made from a single long rubber, if I were to make it again I would have a second or more stamps with more birds to add verity. This one was my favourite and I would like to make it bigger.

Stamp art (1) Stamp art (2)

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑